Mushroom has become a modern vegetable. It has loaded health benefits. Mushroom can be made into any dish. It suits well for all cuisine. Here is a chettinad style of mushroom pepper fry/kalan milagu varuval.
It is very easy to prepare. It tastes like mutton. Non-veg lovers will also enjoy this dish. For kids, add less pepper powder.
- Mushroom – 1 packet/200 gms
- Shallots – (12-15)
- Cumin seeds – 3/4 tsp
- Ginger – very small piece
- Ghee – 2 tsp
- Pepper powder – 2 tsp
- Salt – As per the taste
- Water – (1/2 – 1) cup
- Wash and rinse the mushrooms well.
- Cut the mushrooms into small pieces.
- Heat ghee in a kadai.
- Add cumin seeds & allow it to splutter.
- Add grated ginger to it.
- Now, add chopped onion to it.
- Saute till it turns light brown.
- Add the chopped mushrooms to it.
- Add required salt.
- Add pepper powder to it.
- Cook till water starts to ooze out from the mushrooms.
- Now, add required water to it.
- Cook till the water evaporates and mushrooms gets cooked.
- Yummy yummy mushroom pepper is ready to serve.
- This pepper fry can be prepared as plain mushroom pepper fry without adding cumin seeds and ginger.
- Ghee can be replaced with oil.
- Button mushroom goes well for this recipe.
- This dish tastes like mutton.
- Small coconut pieces can also be added before mushroom. It gives an extra flavor to the dish.
- Red chili or green chili can also be added if preferred.
- Adjust the seasoning as per the taste requirement.
- Add little ginger only, else it will overtake the other flavors.