Briyani is a delightful dish for all people. There are many versions of biriyani in India. Here is a simple and yummy version of biriyani enhanced with fresh green peas and enriched with fresh coconut milk.
I got this recipe from my mom. I have tried this in my kitchen once, but couldn’t click pictures. During this visit to my mom’s place, my mom was planning to do this. I immediately prepared things to click this dish. Finally, made this post complete now.
The step by step pictorial procedure of this recipe is as follows.
- Green peas – 1/2 cup
- Jeera rice – 1 cup
- Big onion -1
- Tomato – 1
- Ginger Garlic paste – 1 1/2 tsp
- Green chili – 3
- Coconut milk – 3/4 cup
- Mint leaves – 1/4 cup
- Garam masala – 1 tsp
- Water – 1 1/4 cups
- Salt – 1/2 tbsp
- Oil – 3 tbsp
- Heat oil in vessel.
- Add fennel seeds to it.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute it till the raw smell goes.
- Then add chopped onion.
- Add chopped green chili.
- Next, add mint leaves.
- Now add green peas and cook for 5 minutes.
- Next, add chopped tomato.
- Add salt. Cook till the oil oozes out.
- Add garam masala.
- First, add water to it.
- Add coconut milk. Allow it to boil.
- Add the washed rice to it.
- Cook it for 15 minutes in low flame or till the rice beomes fluffy. Garnish it with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot.
- This coconut milk peas biriyani can be prepared using basmathi rice or jeera rice. If using basmathi rice, add 1/2 cup of coconut milk & 1 cup of water to 1 cup of rice. If using jeera rice, add 3/4 cup of coconut milk and (1 1/4 – 1 1/2) cups of water to 1 part of the rice.
- Basmathi rice need to be soaked for 25-30 minutes. Jeera rice need to be soaked for 15 minutes.
- Roughly 1/2 of a medium sized coconut will be required to extract the coconut milk for 1 cup of rice.
- Canned coconut milk or coconut milk powder can be used for this recipe. But, I strongly recommend fresh coconut milk for better taste and health.
- Adjust the seasoning as per the taste desired.