Thein bondha is a Sourashtra cuisine. It is very easy and healthy. Plantain stem has many medicinal values by itself. Plantain stem with curd gives cooling effect to our body. Plantain stem is good for those who are suffering from kidney stone.
It is a diet friendly recipe too. Oil is used only for tempering. It goes well with hot hot fluffy IDLI. Many forgot these kind of recipes. We can get tasty and healthy recipes from our grand parents which they enjoyed in their childhood days. Here is the recipe for curd plantain stem.
- Plantain stem – 1
- Curd – 1 cup
- Green chili – 1
- Curry leaves – 2 sprig
- Coriander leaves – 1 sprig
- Asafoetida – 1⁄4 tsp
- Salt – 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Split urad dal – 1 tsp
- Shallots – (5-6)
- Red chili – 1
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Chop the plantain stem into very small cubes.
- Add curd, salt, hing, chopped green chili, finely chopped curry leaves and coriander leaves.
- Mix it well and soak it overnight.
- Add little curd in the morning and mix it well again.
- Heat oil in a kadai.
- Add mustard seeds and allow it to splutter.
- Next add urad dal, red chili and curry leaves to it.
- When urad daal turns light brown add chopped onion to it.
- Once the onion becomes tranparent pour the tempering to the curd plantain stem.
- Plantain stem turns black once we cut it.
- So take a bowl of water and put the chopped pieces of plantain stem to the water soon after chopping. This prevents the color change of plantain stem.
- Keep the plantain stem-curd mixture in the refrigerator for soaking.
- This is because, the curd may turn the dish sour when kept in room temperature.
- The curd used should be thick.