Kennipace is Sourashtra cuisine. It is the most common dish for breakfast on sunday. It is very easy to prepare. It is a light food. It is a porridge or kanji with raw rice and urad dal. It is good for health.
It gives energy as it has carbohydrate, protein and calcium. It aids digestion. It can be consumed by people of all ages. Those who suffer can drink it. It fills the stomach and gives energy.
- Raw rice – 1 cup
- Urad dal – 1⁄4 cup
- Salt – 3 tsp
- Milk – 2 cups
- Water – 4 cups
- Clean the raw rice and soak it for 10-15 minutes.
- Dry roast the urad dal in a kadai, heavy bottomed vessel/ pressure cooker.
- Allow it to cool.
- In a vessel add water and urad dal.
- Close the vessel with a lid and allow it to boil.
- Add the washed rice to it.
- Immediately add salt when rice starts to boil.
- Cook till the rice becomes soft.
- Finally add milk and stir it well.
- Salt can be added or reduced as per the taste.
- If we want the porridge consistency to be thick, less milk can be added.
- Add more milk if the porridge consistency should be watery.
- If using pressure cooker, add 5 cups of water to the roasted urad dal. Add rice and salt to it. When it boils close the pressure cooker with lid and cook it in low flame for 15 minutes. If required cook it for 5 more minutes.
- It requires more water when cooked in pressure cooker. If not it gets dry soon and more milk need to be added.
- This dish cools the body. Grind coconut and poppy seeds. Add it along with milk. It overcomes severe stomach heat.