Besan flour chutney is a simple and quick side dish. It is a no grind chutney. The ginger used in this chutney gives nice aroma and flavor.
Bombay chutney goes well with chapathi, dosa, idl, poori and all kinds of bhajji.
- Shallots – (4-5)
- Tomato (small size) – 2
- Ginger – a small piece
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Green chili – 1
- Turmeric powder – a pinch
- Red chili powder – 1 tsp (optional)
- Hing – 1⁄4 tsp
- Kadalai maavu/ Chick pea flour/ Besan flour – 2 tsp
- Salt- 2 tsp
- Oil – 3 tbsp
- Mix chick pea flour with water without any lumps. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a kadai.
- Add mustard seeds, urad dal, chopped ginger, chopped onion, curry leaves and green chili to it.
- When onion turns golden brown add chopped tomatoes to it.
- Then add salt and cook till tomato becomes mushy.
- Next add turmeric powder and hing to it.
- Add kadalai maavu water to the mixture.
- Cook till it for few minutes. Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Adjust the seasoning as per the taste desired.
- Red chili can be added if hotness is preferred.
- The chutney thickens when cooled. Dilute the chick pea flour well with water.
- If the chutney is too thick add some water and cook it for 2 minutes.