Millets are most commonly used by our ancestors. As the result of globalization the food habit changes. As a cycle now millets are used again. It is a rapid change. Many people intake millets in their diet.
Pearl millet/kambu has high nutritional values. It is rich in iron, calcium, protein and magnesium.It helps to reduce the bad cholesterol level in our body. It is a great body coolant.
It can be consumed as porridge during summer.It helps to improve the digestion power & heals stomach ulcers too.It helps to improve bowel movements & prevents constipation.It makes our body strong.It helps to increase the secretion of milk for lactating mothers !.Do try this healthy kambu maavu puttu recipe for your breakfast or as evening snacks.U will love it.
- Kambu – 1 1⁄2 cups
- Shredded coconut – 3⁄4 cup
- Powdered cardamon – a pinch
- Sugar/ powdered jaggery -1 cup
- Water – to sprinkle
- Dry roast the kambu in a kadai. Allow it to cool.
- Grind it in a mixer grinder.
- Make a semi coarse powder.
- Dry roast it again till the aroma of the kambu starts to come. Allow it to cool.
- Add salt to it and mix it well.
- Add some water and mix the kambu flour well till the puttu consistency is obtained.
- Set it aside for 5 minutes.
- Place the kambu puttu flour in a idli handa.
- Stem the kambu puttu flour in idli handa for 15-18 minutes.
- Add shredded coconut, sugar and powdered cardamon to it.
- Mix it gently. Tasty and healthy kambu puttu is ready.
- If we want to make the kambu puttu more healthier powdered jaggery can be added instead of sugar. To avoid the dust in jaggery boil powdered jaggery in water and strain the syrup. Sprinkle the required powdered jaggery syrup over the kambu puttu and mix it well.
- Kambu flour available in super markets can also be used to prepare kambu puttu. But the kambu flour will be powdered finely.
- As it is for puttu, I grinded it semi coarsely at home. Both flours will taste good.
- The amount of shredded coconut used can also be reduced or increased as per the requirement.