Raw mango rice is exactly same as lemon rice. The only difference is here raw mango is used instead of lemon juice. I wanted to try this for a long time. Finally I got time to try raw mango rice. It came out awesome. The taste was too good.
It goes well with coconut chutney and sambhar. Try it in this mango season and enjoy the dish. It can be prepared from left over rice too. The preparation procedure is as follows.
- Raw mango – (4-5) slices
- Mustard seeds – 3⁄4 tsp
- Split urad dal – 1⁄2 tsp
- Channa dal – 3⁄4 tbsp
- Red chili – (3-4)
- Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
- Turmeric powder – 1⁄4 tsp
- Hing – 1⁄4 tsp
- Salt – As required
- Oil – (2-3) tbsp
- Raw rice – 3 cups
- Cook the raw rice in a vessel or pressure cooker. Allow it to cool in a large plate before adding the raw mango mixture.
- Grate the pulp of the raw mango. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a kadai.
- Add mustard seeds, urad dal and channa dal to it.
- Then add red chili, curry leaves and grated raw mango and saute it for few minutes.
- Finally add turmeric powder, hing and salt. Stir it gently.
- Now add this raw mango mixture to the cooked raw rice and carefully mix it.
- Tangy manga sadham is ready to taste.
- The sourness of the raw mango differs. So the quantity of the raw mango can be adjusted as per the sourness.
- As time proceeds the sourness in the raw mango rice gets reduced. So initially the sourness can be little bit more.
- Peanuts can be added in tempering. It gives added flavor and crunchiness to the raw mango rice.
- If using pressure cooker, cook the raw rice the ratio of 1(raw rice):2.5(water).
- Add the mango mix only after the cooked raw rice is cooled.
- The mango mix can be mixed with left over rice also. Instant tiffin will be ready in minutes.