Onion raita is a basic and very common raita prepared at our homes. It serves as a best side dish for biriyani varieties. It is simple, quick and cooling raita. It is often made dish in India during hot summer to beat the heat.
The onions along with curd makes the dish as a super cooling one. Onions are specially eaten to beat the ‘loo‘ (hot wind) of North India.
This onion raita recipe is made with just a few ingredients. For other raitas the ingredients should be purchased prior. But onion raita can be made instant. This is because onion and curd are readily available in our kitchens throughout the year.
Onion raita is best served with veg pulao, peas pulao, kashmiri pulao, all kind of biryani or even with roti-sabzi or dal-rice. Pulao and biryani are usually served with an accompanying raita.
If you are looking for more raita recipes then do check tomato raita, palak raita, burhani raita, bhindi raita, vegetable raita, aloo raita and fruit raita recipe.
- Onion – 1
- Curd/ yogurt/ dahi – 1⁄2 cup
- Water – 1 cup
- Rock salt – 1⁄4 tsp
- Finely chop the onion length-wise or into small pieces.
- Add water and rock salt to it.
- Rinse it well and drain the excess water.
- Now add curd and stir the onion raita well.
- Basic onion raita is ready in minutes.
- This is the recipe for basic onion raita. Few variations can be done to make it spicy.
- Finely chopped curry leaves, coriander leaves, cumin powder, pepper powder or red chili powder, a pinch of black salt and green chili can be added for a spicy version of basic onion raita.
- Onion can be combined with shredded carrot or chopped cucumber or with chopped tomatoes for a mixed raita.
- Curd can be whipped before mixing with onion for a creamy texture.
- Thick curd goes well for raita.