White pumpkin / Ash gourd has various health benefits in it. It can be prepared as raita for added benefits. It helps in weight loss. It is rich in water content.
This white pumpkin is a best cooling agent. The medicinal properties contained in white pumpkin help in soothing the gastrointestinal tract and healing digestive conditions and peptic ulcers.
This white pumpkin raita goes well with any kind of kuzhambu and roti.
- White pumpkin – 1 slice (medium)
- Mustard seeds – 14 tsp
- Split urad dal – 12 tsp
- Onion – 1 (small)
- Red chili – (2-3)
- Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
- Coriander leaves – 3 sprigs
- Hing – 14 tsp
- Salt – As required
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Wash the pumpkin. Remove the seeds and peel the skin.
- Chop the pumpkin into small cubes.
- In a pressure cooker or pan or kadai, add the chopped white pumpkin and little salt.
- Sprinkle little water over it cook it for 5 minutes or for 1 whistle. Pumpkin is rich in water content so water oozes out from it. If it is not soft cook for few more minutes.
- Transfer the cooked white pumpkin in a bowl. Add curd to it and give a gentle stir. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a kadai.
- Add mustard seeds, urad dal, chopped onions, red chili, curry leaves, hing and salt to it.
- Now add the tempering to the pumpkin – curd mix. Stir it well.
- Garnish it with finely chopped coriander leaves. White pumpkin raita is ready to serve.
- If water becomes more after cooking the white pumpkin do not drain it. The cooked pumpkin water has the nutrients of the pumpkin.
- The water content can be reduced by cooking the pumpkin in high flame. Keep stirring gently to avoid burning.
- Tempering can be avoided if you want 0% oil free dish. Finely chopped curry leaves, coriander leaves and hing can be added directly to the pumpkin – curd mix.