Upma is a famous breakfast in India. It is simple, very easy to do. Also it is a filling dish. There are many kinds of upma. Rava/sooji upma, aval upma, brad upma, semiya/vermicelli upma are few examples of upma.
Here upma is prepared from maravalli kilangu /tapioca. Maravalli kilangu is also known as kappa kilangu in Tamil. Usually, tapioca is steamed and will be served as a snack.
This is a very different, tasty and simple recipe. The tapioca will be very filling.
- Maravalli kilangu – 5 pieces
- Cumin seeds – 1⁄2 tsp
- Onion – 1
- Red chili – (3-4)
- Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
- Coriander leaves – 3 sprigs
- Turmeric powder – 1⁄4 tsp
- Salt – 1⁄4 tsp
- Hing – a pinch
- Cashew nut – (6-8) (optional)
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Steam the maravalli kilangu in a idli handa. Allow it to cool.
- Peel the skin of the maravalli kilangu. Roughly chop it or grate it. It can also be mashed lightly with a masher.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Add cumin seeds, chopped onion, red chili, curry leaves, cashew nuts, salt and hing. Saute it. When the onion turns golden brown add the grated maravalli kilangu and stir it. Cook it for 1-2 minute(s). Garnish it with finely chopped coriander leaves. Serve hot.
- In tempering, mustard seeds and split urad dal can be added instead of cumin seeds.
- Green chili can also be added along with red chili for added flavor.
- Adjust the salt and chili as per the taste required.
- The cooked maravalli kilangu can be blended in a mixer grinder for 3-4 pulse. But it becomes sticky in this case. The starch in the tapioca makes it sticky.
- The maravalli kilangu can also be cooked in pressure cooker, pan or microwave oven without adding salt.