Sweet corn is widely available in markets in India nowadays. The kernels are peeled and available ready made. Sweet corn can be had as such. But many don’t like raw sweet corn. Sweet corn can be used to prepare many dishes. From snack to pulao sweet corn can be used as a main ingredient.
Here is the recipe for sweet corn gravy. It serves as a great side dish for chapati, roti, kulcha, naan, parantha, idli, dosa and biriyani. Though the list of ingredients is more it is very easy to prepare. The sweetness from the sweet corn in the gravy has a exotic taste.
- Sweet corn – kernels from 1 sweet corn
- onion (medium) – 1
- Tomato (medium) – 2
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
- Fennel seeds – 1 tsp
- Cardamon – 1
- Cloves – 2
- Cinnamon stick – a small piece
- Bay leaf – 1
- Red chili powder – 1 1⁄2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1⁄4 tsp
- Salt – 2 tsp
- Garam masala powder – 1⁄2 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tbsp
- Cumin powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander leaves – 2 sprigs
- Heat oil in a kadai.
- Add fennel seeds to it. When the fennel seeds starts to splutter, add cloves, cardamom, cinnamon stick and bay leaf. Sauté it for few seconds.
- Now add chopped onion, ginger garlic paste and sweet corn kernels to it.
- When the onion turns light golden brown, add chopped tomatoes. Cook till the tomatoes becomes mushy.
- Next add coriander powder, red chili powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder and salt to it. Mix it well. Sauté it for 2 minutes.
- Add required water to the mixture and it well. Cook it for 5 minutes.
- Garnish it with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with roti, chapati, paranthas or naan.
- Adjust the seasoning and salt as per the taste desired.
- onion purée and tomato purée can be used instead of chopped onions and chopped tomatoes. This gives a nice texture to the sweet corn gravy.
- Mint leaves can also be used after adding the masala items for a enhanced flavour.