Carrot chutney is a colorful and tasty chutney. Chutney from vegetable for breakfast gives a great start. Carrot is one of the vegetables which is available almost throughout the year. When they are fresh and surplus I will do this carrot chutney for sure. This chutney pairs well with most Indian breakfasts and even with roti or chapathi. It can be had with plain rice as well if made to a thicker consistency, that’s how we make carrot pachadi for rice.For the adults and kids who avoid carrot in their diet, carrot can be served as carrot chutney. It is a rich source of vitamin A and promotes eye sight. The step by step procedure to prepare carrot chutney is given below.
Check other chutney recipes – kollu chutney, coconut chutney, onion chutney, tomato chutney, peanut chutney, mint chutney, ginger chutney, brinjal chutney, sesame chutney, coriander seeds chutney, bombay chutney, onion-coconut chutney and idli/dosa batter chutney.
- Carrot -1⁄2 cup
- Onion – 2
- Garlic cloves – (3-4)
- Ginger – a small piece
- Green chili – 3
- Coconut pieces – (2-3)
- Hing – 1⁄4 tsp
- Salt – 1⁄2 tsp
- Urad dal – 1⁄2 tsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1⁄4 tsp
- Split urad dal – 1⁄2 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1⁄2 tsp
- Red chili – 2
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Heat some oil in a kadai.
- Add urad dal to it. Saute till it becomes golden brown.
- Next add chopped garlic cloves to it.
- Now add chopped onion.
- Add chopped carrot.
- Add coconut pieces and slit green chili.
- Finally add coriander leaves, curry leaves, salt and hing to it.
- Allow the mixture to cool.
- In a mixer grinder, add the carrot chutney mixture.
- Grind it into a paste by adding some water.
- Add some water and transfer the content back to the kadai and cook it.
- Heat remaining oil in a kadai.
- Add mustard seeds, split urad dal, cumin seeds, red chili and curry leaves to it.
- Transfer the tempering to the chutney and cook till the carrot chutney thickens or until desired consistency is obtained.
- Tasty and colorful carrot chutney is ready to serve with idli and dosa.