Dal makhani is a famous Punjabi dish. This mixed lentil curry is usually made with butter and cream.
Usually, dal makhani preparation is a long process. Soaking the rajma overnight is very important. To avoid overnight soaking check the note section. The mixed lentil with roti serves as a perfect and healthy meal.
Other side dish roti for – Chettinad meal maker gravy, sweet corn gravy, Peas curry, Cucumber raita, White pumpkin raita, Onion raita, Stuffed brinjal curry, Meal maker gravy, Peas curry dry, Tomato raita, Chili dhaniya chicken curry , Gobi manchurian without soy sauce, Baby corn hara masala and Baby corn manchurian.
- Whole black urad dal – 1/2 cup
- Rajma – 1/4 cup
- Onion – 1
- Tomato – 2
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 2 tbsp
- Red chili powder – 1 tsp
- Garam masala powder – 1 tsp
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Wash and soak the rajma for 8 hours or overnight. Wash and rinse the whole black urad dal . Drain the excess water and transfer them to a pressure cooker.
- In a pressure cooker, add rajma and whole black urad dal. To that add 3-4 cups of water.
- Pressure cook it for 2 whistles in high flame and 4 whistles in low flame. Let the pressure to escape by itself. If the dal and rajma are not fully cooked add a cup of water and cook it for 2 whistles. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a kadai.
- Add fennel seeds and ginger-garlic paste. Saute it till the raw smell goes.
- Now chopped onions to it. Saute till the onions become golden brown.
- Add chopped tomatoes to it.
- Next, add salt.
- Add turmeric powder.
- Add red chili powder.
- Add garam masala powder.
- Finally, add coriander powder.
- Add a little water to it.
- Cook it till tomato become soft.
- Transfer the onion-tomato mixture to the cooked dal-rajma. Cook it for 2 whistles in medium flame.
- Finally, top it with fresh cream to it and serve hot with chapati.
- In the other version of dal makhani, green chili is replaced instead of red chili powder.
- Here, I have used garam masala powder. Masala items like cloves, cinnamon stick, cardamon pods, bay leaf, star anise and nutmeg can be used.
- Rajma should be soaked overnight. Here I have soaked it in hot water for just 4 hours. The result was same as overnight soaking.
- Instead of oil butter should be used to get the taste of Punjabi dal makhani.