Sweet karupatti appam is one of my favorite recipes. It is famous in Madurai. One lady will sell the sweet karupatti appam batter in streets.
The recipe is very simple and easy. I will have as breakfast also.
- Idli rice – 1/2 cup
- Whole urad dal – 2 tsp
- Palm jaggery – 100 gms
- Cardamom powder – 1/4 tsp
- Methi powder – 1/2 tsp
- Water – (1/2-1) cup
- Butter/ oil/ ghee – 1 tsp
- Wash and soak the idli rice and whole urad dal for 3 hours. In a mixer grinder, add the idli rice and whole urad dal seperately. Grind them with little water. Here I have used batter while grinding batter for idli/dosa.
- In a pan, take the palm jaggery.
- Crush them into small pieces.
- Add water to it.
- Cook it in low flame till the palm jaggery melts completely. Allow it to cool.
- In a mixing bowl, add the idli rice batter, urad dal batter, cardamon powder and methi powder.
- With the help of tea filter, add the palm jaggery syrup slowly to the batter mixture.
- Mix it appam batter well. Check and adjust the sweetness.
- Heat a tawa. Grease it with tissue paper or kitchen cloth.
- Take a ladle full of appam batter and pour it from the outer edgde of the tawa. If the shape is uneven, you can spread the batter as we do to prepare normal dosa.
- Drizzle some oil. Close it with idli handa lid and cook it for 1-2 minutes in low flame.
- Sweet palm jaggery dosa is ready.
- Top it with butter and serve hot.