- Milk – 1 litre
- Sugar – 1/3 cup
- In a non-stick/heavy bottomed vessel, add milk.
- Bring it to boil without adding water. Let it boil on low flame till it reduces to half. Stir every now and then to avoid burning at the bottom.
- Keep it boiling on low flame. But take care to stir often.This is will take almost 20minutes.
- By this time it starts to thicken, the malai starts to form, stir it well.Scrape the sides and mix well. Keep boiling.
- Now, most of the water vaporises from the milk making it thicker.
- When it is slightly goey with very little moisture, add sugar to it . Mix it well. Sugar will melt making it goey. Keep the flame in low and keep cooking.
- Keep stirring till a thick mass leaving the sides of the pan with no liquid content is obtained. This will take almost take 30 minutes.
- Allow it to cool. Store it in an airtight container and refrigerate it.
- Using a nonstick pan will not make the mixture stick much.
Also stirring often is the main tip.
- Adjust the sugar, if more or less sweetness is required.
- Palkova thickens with time.
- You can add 1/4 tsp cardamom powder or chopped nuts of your choice.But I like to keep it simple with just the palkova flavour at its best.
- Also while milk boils and thickens, use the same spatula make sure it is clean.
- It keeps well for a week when refrigerated.
- Cooking time may vary depending on the size of pan and also the water content in milk.
- Use a little wider spatula so that it covers most of the bottom area to avoid missing some bottom surface.When you miss stirring some area then it will burn and stick to the bottom.
- Make sure you cool down completely before you refrigerate it.