- Raw rice – 2 cup
- Salt to taste
- Water as needed for making puree
- Coconut – 1 cup
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds/kadugu – 1 tsp
- Channa dal/kadala paruppu – 1 tbsp
- Urad dal/ulundu – 1 tbsp
- Red chilli – 5
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Wash rice well and let it soak for 2 hours.
- Drain the excess water and add it to a blender. Add salt to it and make into a puree by adding some water.
- Now heat oil in a kadai.
- Add mustard seeds, split urad dal, channa dal, red chili and curry leaves. Saute it for a minute.
- Add the ground rice mixture to the tempering and mix it well.
- Keep mixing till everything comes together and form into a soft dough.
- Take it off the heat and add coconut in it. Mix well till it forms a smooth dough.
- Divide into equal portions and shape into round balls.
- Place them in a idli plate.
- Steam cook it for 15-20 minutes or till the kolukkatai is done.
- The kolukkatai must have turned shiny and glossy of they are done. Or cut a ball you will not find any doughyness inside those kolukattai.
- Serve hot with chutney or idli podi.