Kamarkat is a popular candy in village. It is available in city also. But the production of kamarkat has been reduced due to craze for junk sweet. This kamarkat is fully nutritious. It is iron rich candy. This sweet candy has zero sugar.
It will be hard. So we need strong teeth to enjoy this candy. The step by step pictorial procedure of this candy is as follows.
- Fresh coconut (grated) – ½ cup
- Jaggery(grated) – 1 1/2 cups
- Cardamom powder – 1 tsp
- Ghee – 2 tsp
- Heat 1 tsp of ghee in a kadai.
- Add freshly grated coconut to it. Roast it for 1-2 minute.
- Transfer the roasted coconut in a plate.
- In the same kadai, add jaggery.
- Add little water to it.
- Heat it till the jaggery melts completely.
- Filter the jaggery syrup.
- Transfer the jaggery syrup back to the kadai .
- Bring it to boil.
- When it gets little thick, add in coconut, cardamom powder and mix well. Keep stirring and cook this. It will get thicker gradually.
- Keep cooking in low flame.
- The color will change from golden brown to deep brown.
- Cook till it thickens.
- When you think it is thick enough, take a small bowl with cold water, drop 1 tsp of that mixture in water, it should not separate and you should be able to make a hard ball. That is the consistency you want.
- Now transfer the whole mixture on a greased plate and let it cool a bit. But do not wait long then you might not be able to make round balls. It might stick. So make round balls when you handle the heat by greasing your hands, take a small portion and shape it into balls.
- It will get harder after some time. Store them in an airtight container for a week and enjoy!
- Cook the entire process in low flame to avoid burning.
- Grease the plate so that the mixture doesn’t stick.
- The mixture will tun hard very soon. Lightly heat the mixture. I used microwave safe plate, so that I heated the mixture directly from the plate.
- The mixture will be very hot. Grease your hands with ghee.