Arisi veella Puttu is a simple and sweet puttu. It is same as arisi puttu except that here jaggery is used instead of white sugar. Also, jaggery syrup is prepared to remove the impurities in jaggery.Vella Puttu is a traditional neiveidhyam made for Navaratri.
Puttu, in general is a healthy and filling snack. Kids will love it and enjoy its taste. The recipe os the healthy and tasty arisi vella puttu is as follows.
- Rice Flour – 1/2 cup
- Jaggery – 1/3 cup
- Coconut – 2 tbsp
- Cashews – 5 broken
- Cardamom powder – 1/4 tsp
- Edible Camphor – a tiny pinch (optional)
- Ghee -2 tsp
- Water – 1/4 cup(for jaggery syrup) + as required(for rice flour mixture)
- Dry roast rice flour in a kadai till it changes color to light brown.
- Cool down, then sprinkle water little by little and make the entire flour wet…keep mixing.
- The mixture should hold together when you press it with your palms and should crumble and fall when you leave it(pidicha pidikkanam vitta uthuranum).
- Now collect the mixture in a clean muslin cloth and tie the ends to make a bag like.
- Steam the mixture for atleast 8-10mins.
- Cool down and then crumble it with your hands to break the lumps formed.Set aside.
- Now start preparing the jaggery syrup, add water to crushed jaggery just till immersing level.
- Heat it till the jaggery gets dissolved in the water.
- Strain to remove impurities.
- Then heat up the syrup in a kadai.
- Keep water in a plate to check the consistency. Keep boiling until you reach a consistency when you pour a drop of the jaggery syrup in water it should not get dissolved. It should form a soft ball.This is the correct consistency.
- Meanwhile, in a kadai, add 1 tsp of ghee.
- Fry the cashew nuts and keep it ready.
- Keep the flame in low and immediately add the cooked rice mixture.
- Now add ghee,cardamom powder and edible camphor(if using)
- .Keep mixing till it becomes dry and all the jaggery syrup is absorbed. Add grated coconut, ghee fried cashew nuts.
- Mix well and switch off the flame.
- Serve it hot or warm. Enjoy the tasty puttu.
- Rice flour mixture should be cooked to soft so steam it accordingly.I used my idli handa steamer and steamed it.
- After the rice mixture is steam cooked, cool down and then crumble it with your hands to break the lumps formed.
- If you add more water to make jaggery syrup then you need to keep on stirring for a long time to get the desired consistency.
- When you add the rice flour mixture to the jaggery syrup it will look moist don’t worry keep stirring, the rice flour mixture will absorb all the jaggery and after few minutes you will see the puttu dry.
- The consistency check is the most important here other than that there is no risk factors involved. Make sure you don’t miss the consistency else the next stage will be hard ball consistency and you will not get the puttu in perfect texture.
- While making jaggery syrup first you can keep in medium flame once it becomes thick then switch it to low-medium flame and cook till perfect consistency is reached.
- Make sure to strain the jaggery syrup to avoid impurities.
- You can use store bought rice flour(idiyappam flour) too. Use raw rice for making homemade rice flour.