Kichdi is basic food in India. Here is a healthy and less oil version of kichdi. This protein rich kichdi is very tasty.
- Plain oats – 1/4 cup (50 gms)
- Split yellow moong dal – 3/4 cup (150 gms)
- Spinach – 1 cup (200 gms)
- Onion – 2
- Cloves – (2-3)
- Cinnamon stick – 1-inch piece
- Black Peppercorn – (4-5)
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Hing – ¼ tsp
- Red chilli – (3-4)
- Ginger – 1 tsp
- Water- 6 cups
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker.
- Add cumin seeds, cloves, cinnamon stick and black peppercorns to it. Saute it for a few seconds.
- Next, add grated ginger, chopped onions and red chilli. Fry until onion turns translucent.
- Add oats and yellow moong dal along with 6 cups of water, turmeric powder, salt and spinach.
- Cook the khichdi for 1 whistle on high flame and for 2 whistles on low flame. Turn off the flame and allow the pressure to escape by itself.
- Serve with roasted papad and raita.
- Chopped garlic can also be added if preferred.
- Adjust the seasoning as per the taste.
- Coriander powder can be added for a flavour.