- Coriander seeds – 1 cup
- Cumin seeds – 2 tbsp
- Bengal gram – 1/4 cup
- Red chili – 1 1/2 cup
- Peppercorns – 1/4 cup
- Cinnamon stick – 2 big piece
- Cloves – 8
- Sesame seeds – 1 tsp
- Poppy seeds – 2 tbsp
- Dry roast coriander seeds, cumin seeds, bengal gram, red chili, peppercorns, cinnamon sticks, cloves, sesame seeds and poppy seeds in a kadai.
- Allow them to cool.
- In a mixer grinder, add the dry roasted and cooled masala items.
- Grind it into a fine powder.
- Store it in an air -tight container.
- Remove the stem of the red chili before dry roasting.
- Adjust the hotness of the garam masala powder as per the requirement. Also, hotness of the red chili differs from region to region. Add or subtract the red chili accordingly.
- Do not over roast the ingredients. Roast till aroma comes.