All dishes needs at least one fruit or vegetable either directly or indirectly. We use those fruits and vegetables without knowing its benefits. Nature gives us goodness in every form. We need to preserve it and get benefited. We spend more time with veggies and fruits in our lifetime, but we don’t know much other than their common name and basic benefits. Let’s know the benefits of the vegetables and fruits which we use daily in brief.
Tomato is an edible vegetable which is used almost daily. Many varieties of tomato are available in markets.
Kingdom : Plantae
Class : Dicotyledons
Divison : Anthophyta
Order : Solanales
Family : Solanaceae
Genus : Solanum
Species : Solanum lycopersicum
The species originated in Central and South America. The Nahuatl (Aztec language) word tomatl gave rise to the Spanish word “tomate”, from which the English word tomato originates.
NUTRITIONAL VALUES OF TOMATOES
Tomato is loaded with nutrients and vitamins, including an impressive amount of vitamin A, vitamin C, and vitamin K, as well as significant amounts of vitamin B6, folate, and thiamin. Tomatoes are also a good source of potassium, manganese, magnesium, phosphorous, and copper. Tomatoes also have dietary fiber and protein, as well as a number of organic compounds like lycopene that also contribute to the overall health benefits.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF TOMATOES
- Tomatoes are filled with nutrients and antioxidants that help combat several diseases as well as keep your health in good shape.
- Good for digestion : Including tomatoes in our daily diet can keep your digestive system healthy as it prevents both, constipation and diarrhoea. It also prevents jaundice and effectively removes toxins from the body.
- Helps fight cancer : According to the research, tomatoes contain large amounts of the antioxidant lycopene, that is effective in lowering the risk of cancer, especially lung and stomach cancers.
- Reduces risk of heart disease : The lycopene in tomatoes can protect you against cardiovascular diseases. Consuming tomatoes regularly helps decrease the levels of cholesterol and triglyceride in the blood, reducing the deposition of fats in the blood vessels.
- Improves vision : Vitamin A, present in tomatoes, helps to improve your eyesight as well as prevent night-blindness and macular degeneration.
- Maintaining blood health : Research suggests that a single tomato can provide about 40% of the daily vitamin C requirement and also contains vitamin A, potassium and iron that is essential for maintaining normal blood health. Vitamin K, which is controls bleeding and blood clotting, tomatoes help in blood circulation.
SKIN BENEFITS OF TOMATOES
- Glowing skin : Applying tomato juice or rubbing tomato halves on the skin evens out the skin and revives the glow giving you a healthy looking, glowing and smooth skin. It contains a high amount of Vitamin C, which is known to brighten skin.
- Treats open pores : Massaging your face with tomato juice-water mixture with the help of cotton balls will reduce the pore size .
- Act as a natural sunscreen : Lycopene, an antioxidant acts as a natural sunscreen. This provides the skin protection from harsh UV rays. Hence it protects from sunburn. Sun burnt skin can also be treated by applying tomato on the affected parts.
- Prevent signs of aging : Tomatoes and its products enable the skin to absorb oxygen and prevent the signs of aging. It provides an amazing natural skin treatment that can make the skin look younger and healthy with less effort.
- Remove dead skin cells : Tomatoes can greatly help you to remove dead skin cells. Scrubbing your skin with tomatoes get rid of dead skin cells and it provides a clean and fresh looking skin.
- Natural bleaching agent : Tomato is considered as a natural bleaching agent and is very helpful in lightening the skin tone. It improves the complexion of the skin.
HAIR BENEFITS OF TOMATOES
- Tomatoes are considered to be an excellent cure for hair loss. It is believed that application of tomato pulp on the scalp can prevent hair loss.
- Tomatoes are amazing natural conditioners coming straight from your kitchen. It provides natural shine to the hair and makes it soft, frizz-free and manageable.
- Tomato juice also acts as a soaking agent to remove odors. Apply freshly squeezed tomato juice on the scalp and massage your hair with it for a few minutes.
- Moisture often escapes from the scalp during winters, making the hair strands dry and brittle, leading to breakage. So make sure to keep your hair replenished with the help of tomatoes. Tomatoes help to lock the much-needed moisture in the hair to prevent it from dry.
- Tomatoes are very useful for curing itchy scalp and dandruff. Itchy scalp and dandruff lead to other scalp problems, like eczema and scalp psoriasis. Tomato contains a high amount of Vitamin C, which fights dandruff and provides collagen for proper tissue development of the scalp.
- Pure, homemade tomato puree can help in bringing radiance and elasticity to dry hair. This will make the hair super smooth, shiny and flexible as it contains high amounts of protein in it.
- Regular swimming often changes the color of the hair due to the high amount of chlorine present in the pool water. Tomato can be a great help to remove the stains from the hair.