- Whole wheat flour/atta – 1 cup
- Custard powder – 1/4 cup
- Oil – 1/4 cup
- Powdered sugar – 1/2 cup
- Baking powder – 1/2 tsp
- Baking soda – 1/4 tsp
- Vanilla essence – 1/2 tsp
- Milk – 1 1/4 tbsp
- Pre-heat the oven at 170 C.
- Grease a baking tray with oil or line it with a butter paper.
- In a mixing bowl, sieve wheat flour, powdered sugar, baking powder, baking soda and custard powder.
- Mix it well.Add oil and vanilla essence to it.Mix it well. It will be dry and crumble.
- Now, add milk to it little by little.Mix it well and knead it into a dough. Add 1 tsp or more milk if required. If milk and oil are added more the cookies will not be baked well. So add milk little by little and add more only if required. Add oil in mentioned quantity.
- Take a small portion of the dough and make balls out of it.
- Flatten it slightly with hands. There will be cracks in the cookies.
- Place each cookies in the baking tray. Give enough gap between the cookies. This is because the cookies will raises during baking.
- Bake the cookies for 15-17 minutes. Be careful while baking. Check it after first 10 minutes. It should not get burnt.Take the baking tray from the oven. Allow the cookies to cool down.Store it in a air tight container.
- Icing sugar can also be used. Make sure you powder the sugar while using granulated sugar. This because the amount of oil mentioned is for powdered sugar only. Granulated sugar needs to be dissolved in oil and the measurement will differ.
- All purpose flour/maida can be used instead of whole wheat flour/atta. Even equal ratio of both the flours can also be used.
- Do add the ingredients in the quantity mentioned.
- Initially, the cookies will be soft. Once it is cooled it will turn crunchy.
- When stored in an air-tight container, it stays good for 5 days.
- Here, I have used vanilla flavored custard powder. Custard powder in other flavors can also be used.