Green leaves are rich in vitamin and iron. Valla keerai is one such healthy green leaves. It is rarely known and rarely available. It is not available in many markets. One of my aunts bought it for my mom. The taste and health benefits of valla keerai made my mom to cook it again when I came to my mom’s place. Of course my aunt bought it for us from the market near by to her home.
Valla keerai has many health benefits. It mainly aids digestion and acts as a cooling agent. The leaves of this keerai will be long with a curve near the steam. The steam will be hollow.
Here is the recipe for valla keerai stir fry or porial. It is very easy to prepare. It suits well for beginners in cooking. The step by step pictorial procedure of valla kerai poriyal is as follows… Vallarai keerai is different from vallarai keerai.. I couldn’t find the name of valla keerai in other languages… If anyone knows let me know about it
- Valla Keerai – 2 bunches
- Shallots – 8
- Red chili – 2
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Split urad dal – 1 tsp
- Salt – As per the taste required
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Pluck the leaves of the valla keerai.
- Wash & rinse it well. Chop the leaves of the valla keerai.
- Heat oil in a kadai.
- Add mustard seeds to it.
- Add urad dal to it.
- Now, add chopped onion to it. Saute till the onion becomes light brown in color.
- Next, add red chili to it.
- Add required salt to it.
- Finally add the valla keerai to it. Mix it well.
- Sprinkle little water and keep cooking it in low flame.
- Once the water is drained well and valla keerai becomes soft, valla keerai stir fry is ready.
- Serve with any curry rice.
- The recipe given here is Sourashtra style cooking of keerai poriyal.
- Grated coconut can be added at last for a different taste.
- Cumin seeds can be added in the tempering along or instead of mustard seeds and urad dal.
- The amount of shallots used can be adjusted as per the taste. More shallots tastes god for this dish.
- If shallots are not available, onion can be used.
- Adjust the tempering as per the taste.