Here comes the second post on benefits of our kitchen ingredients. Onion is one of the most commonly used vegetables all over the world. But few people in India do not use onion as it triggers emotions. Onion has many benefits it. It can be used both internally and externally. The Scientific information and benefits of onion are as follows.
Kingdom : Plantae
Class : Monocotyledons
Divison : Anthophyta
Order : Asparagales
Family : Amaryllidaceae
Genus : Allium
Species : A. cepa
NUTRITIONAL VALUES OF ONION
Onions are high in vitamin C, Vitamin B6, Folate, Potassium, and Manganese. It is a good source of fiber, and with only 45 calories per serving, add abundant flavor to a wide variety of food. Onions are sodium, fat, and cholesterol free, and provide a number of other key nutrients.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF ONION
- Boosts Immunity : The phytochemicals in onions along with their vitamin C help improve immunity.
- Controls Blood Sugar : Onions contain chromium, which assists in regulating blood sugar.
- Anti-Inflammatory : For centuries, onions have been used to reduce inflammation and heal infections.
- Lowers Cholesterol : Raw onion lowers the production of bad cholesterol (LDL), thus keeping your heart healthy.
- Prevents Cancer : A powerful compound called quercetin in onions is known to play a significant role in preventing cancer.
- Relieves Pain : Onion juice on the area for immediate relief from the pain and burning sensation.
- Reduces Ulcers : Onions scavenge free radicals, thereby reducing your risk of developing gastric ulcers.
- Improves Vision : Those bright green tops of green onions are rich in Vitamin A, it improves eyesight.
SKIN BENEFITS OF ONION
- Anti-Aging Benefits : The antioxidant vitamins A, C and E fight against the damage caused by the harmful UV rays as well as prevent free radical damage that is responsible for causing premature aging of our skin. Onion is one of the richest sources of quercetin, the most powerful antioxidant that can keep your skin wrinkle-free. Vitamins and sulphur, on the other hand, protect your skin and keep it soft and supple. Massaging your skin with fresh onion juice helps increase the blood circulation and improves the overall appearance of your skin by imparting a more youthful and radiant appearance.
- Treatment Of Acne : The antimicrobial, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory qualities of onion can work wonders on your skin. It is a powerful antiseptic that protects your skin from acne-causing bacteria and other skin infections. Onions can be used in the treatment of acne and pimples. Onion juice with olive oil treats acne.
- Lightens The Complexion : Onions help in purifying your blood and supply your body with flavonoids that assist Vitamin C in its important functions. The consumption of onions can keep your skin healthy and glowing. Apply a face pack with onion juice and gram flour. This will exfoliate the dead skin cells and lighten the skin tone.
- Treatment Of Dark Spots And Pigmentation : The rich variety of phytonutrients and antioxidants in onion nourish your skin while removing the skin impurities. Face pack by mixing equal quantities of onion juice and fresh yogurt along with essential oil can be prepared to get rid of dark spots & pigmentation.
- Treatment Of Stings And Bites : Place an onion slice on your sting or bite. The anti-inflammatory properties of onion help in reducing the burn, itchiness and swelling caused by insect and bug bites.
HAIR BENEFITS OF ONION
- Treatment Of Thinning Hair : Onion is quite helpful in treating thinning hair. All you need to do is juice an onion in a juicer and add ½ teaspoon of honey to it. Apply this mixture all over your hair or onto the portions that appear thin. Leave it overnight and do not cover your head. Shampoo your hair the next morning. This should be done at least once to thrice a week for best results.
- Treatment Of Hair Loss And Dandruff : You can prepare a hair mask using an onion to combat hair loss, dandruff and an itchy scalp. Onion juice is particularly beneficial for increasing the length of your hair. All you need to do is grind or mash an onion and strain it through a grinder to obtain the juice. Mix this juice with equal amounts of olive or coconut oil and apply it on your scalp and hair. Cover your head with a shower cap and leave it for 2 hours. Rinse it off with a shampoo to get rid of the stickiness in the hair. This hair pack will improve the ability of your hair to regrow besides imparting a shiny, glossy look to your hair. It should be applied twice a month for best results.
- Maintains Hair Color : You can apply onion juice on your hair to impart a nice coppery shade as well as to make your hair glossy. However, if you wish to maintain the natural color of your hair, you can blend an onion with adequate amounts of mustard oil and apply it on your hair. The mustard oil will suppress the color lightening effect of onion.
- Natural Conditioner : To condition your hair naturally, you can apply a mixture of onion and fenugreek paste on your hair. Keep it for half an hour and wash off with a mild shampoo.
Besides having nutritive values, onion has some side effects also. The same onion which provides several health benefits can also cause side effects in certain cases.