There is no day without curries, gravies and masala in India. Alternations in the ingredients gives different taste to the gravy.
Meal maker is a favorite ingredient of many. It gives nice taste and flavor to the dish. It helps me when I am out of vegetables at home. It is good for health as it is protein rich.
The step by step pictorial procedure of simple meal maker masala is as follows.INGREDIENTS
- Soya chunks – 1/2 cup
- Onion – 2
- Tomato – 2
- Ginger – a small piece
- Garlic – 3 pods
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Fennel seeds – 1 tsp
- Buna chana/pottukadalai – 1 tbsp
- Bay leaves – (1-2)
- Red chili powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Garam masala powder – 1 tsp
- Salt – As per the taste required
- Oil – 3 tbsp
- In a kadai, add meal maker and water.
- Add little salt to it.
- Allow it to boil. It will take around 5 minutes. The soya chunks gets bulged as it absorbs the water. Allow it to cool.
- Drain the water from it. Then squeeze out the excess water from each soya chunks. Keep it aside.
- Heat little oil in a kadai.
- Add chopped ginger and chopped garlic to it. Saute till raw smell goes.
- Add half of chopped onion to it. Allow it to turn golden brown.
- Add chopped tomatoes to it. Saute till the tomato becomes soft.
- Allow the mixture to cool.
- In a mixer grinder, add the onion-tomato mixture, fennel seeds and buna chana.
- Grind it into a paste.
- Heat oil in the kadai.
- Add cumin seeds to it. Allow it to crackle.
- Add bay leaves to it.
- Add remaining onions to it. Saute it well.
- Add the ground paste to it.
- Add turmeric powder.
- Add red chili powder to it.
- Add garam masala powder to it.
- Add salt to it.
- Add kasuri methi to it.
- Add required water to it.
- Add the soya chunks to it.
- Cook it for 5 minutes in low flame.
- Garnish it with finely chopped coriander leaves.
- Adjust the seasoning as per the taste.
- Green chili can be added along the tomato. If using green chili, alter the red chili powder.
- Kasuri methi gives excellent flavor to the dish. I suggest not to avoid it.