Chickpea is a legume available in two different colors. Both chickpeas has it’s own benefits. Here is a recipe of brown/black color chickpea. It has enough proteins and high carbohydrates. It is good for growing children.
Here is the recipe for the brown chickpea gravy. It is very simple and tasty gravy. If soaked over-night this gravy can be prepared quickly. It goes well with rasam rice as a side dish. This gravy can also be consumed with steamed rice top with little ghee. The taste will be simply divine.
This is my all time favorite dish . It is kids friendly dish also. Pressure cooked chickpeas can be given as a snack to toddlers and children. The skin can be removed for toddlers if required. It might result in choking. The step by step pictorial procedure of this recipe is as follows.
- Kondai kadalai/brown or black chickpea – 1 cup
- Shallots – (12-15)
- Tomato – 1
- Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
- Curry powder – 2 tsp
- Coconut – (4-5) pieces
- Kus kus – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Green chili – 1
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Coriander leaves – 3 sprigs
- Salt – As per the taste
- Sesame oil – 2 tbsp
- Wash and soak the chickpea for 8 hours or over night.
- In a pressure cooker, add soaked chickpea, required water, few chopped shallots and little salt. Pressure cook it for 1 whistle in high flame and (5-6) whistles in low flame. Nice aroma comes from chickpea & shallots. Allow the pressure to escape by itself. Cook for (1-2) more whistles if it is not cooked fully.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a kadai.
- Add mustard seeds and urad dal. Let mustard seeds splutter & urad dal turn golden brown.
- Add chopped shallots to it. Saute till the onion turns translucent.
- Now, add chopped tomato to it.
- Add curry leaves to it. Saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add required salt, curry powder, cumin powder, red chili powder, hing & turmeric powder. Cook till the raw smell goes.
- Add the water left from cooked chickpeas to it. If required add little water to it. Allow it to boil.
- Now, add the cooked chickpeas to the onion-tomato mixture.
- Cook till it thickens and water evaporates. Cook in low flame.
- Garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with steamed white rice, rasam rice and papad.