Dosa is a our regular breakfast. Various types of dosa can be prepared. Here is the summer special dosa recipe. This dosa is prepared from the rind of the watermelon. The rind in usually wasted as it is tasteless. But, this tasteless portion of the watermelon can be turned to be a tasty dish.
Generally, halwa is prepared from the rind of the watermelon. Dosa can also be prepared from it. Also, this is the spicy version of watermelon rind dosa. Plain version of watermelon rind dosa can also be prepared. Will post it shortly.
The step by step procedure to prepare watermelon rind dosa is as follows…..
- Rice – 1 cup
- White portion(rind) of the watermelon – 2 cups
- Green Chili – 2
- Cumin Seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Asafoetida/hing – a pinch
- Black pepper powder (optional) – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – As per the taste required
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Wash and soak the rice for 2-3 hrs.
- Grate the white portion of water melon.
- Squeeze the water out of the water melon and keep aside.
- In a mixer grinder, add the rice, green chili and asafoetida. Grind it once.
- Now, add water squeezed out of the melon. Grind it into a smooth paste.
- Add black pepper powder.
- Add the grated water melon and mix well. You will get a thick batter like idli/dosa batter.
- Allow it to ferment for 8 hours or overnight.
- Heat the dosa tava.
- Grease it with castor oil.
- Pour one ladle of batter and spread little bit. Drizzle oil over it.
- Once the bottom side is cooked, flip it to cook the other side also. Drizzle some more oil. Cook till it is done.
- Serve hot with any chutney.
- Instead of watermelon, this dosa can be prepared from other ingredients like cucumber, yellow squash or bottle gourd also.
- Serve this watermelon dosa hot. If turned cool, the taste will be different.
- If preferred, watermelon dosa can be prepared without fermenting the batter also. But the taste will be good only if fermented.
- The batter can be fermented first and then the ingredients can be added.
- The consistency of the batter should be like that of idli/dosa batter.
- Adjust the seasoning as per the taste desired.