Tamarind chutney is a quick and spicy chutney. There are mainly two versions of ginger chutney. One type is prepared with tomato and another type is prepared with tamarind. I have updated ginger-tomato chutney with pics few days back. Here am posting ginger-tamarind chutney with step by step picture.This tamarind chutney is spicy and tangy. But I don’t like it much. My dad loves it with. He wants coconut chutney also.This chutney was prepared in my mom’s place. He said that the idli with tamarind chutney and coconut chutney along with a sip of coffee tastes divine.
The step by step pictorial procedure of ginger-tamarind chutney is as follow.
Check out our other chutney recipes, tomato chutney, onion chutney, coconut chutney, brinjal chutney, idly shop style sambhar, ginger chutney, carrot chutney, bombay chutney, mint chutney, horse gram thovaiyal, Buna chenna idli podi, coriander seed chutney, curd plantain stem, sesame idli powder, idli batter chutney, peanut chutney, sesame chutney, thuvaram paruppu chutney and onion-coconut chutney
- Ginger – 2 inch piece
- Tamarind – Big Gooseberry sized
- Curry leaves – 2 Sprigs
- Red chili – 4
- Chana dal – 1 tbsp
- Hing – a generous pinch
- Salt – As per the taste
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Red chili – 1
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Heat oil in a kadai.
- Add chana dal to it. Saute till it turns golden brown.
- Add chopped ginger.
- Add red chili.
- Add tamarind.
- Add curry leaves.
- Add hing and salt. Saute it f0r 1-2 minute(s).
- Allow the mixture to cool.
- Transfer the content to mixer grinder.
- Grind it into a coarse paste.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Add mustard seeds to it. Allow it to splutter. Add urad dal. Saute till it turns golden brown. Add red chili and curry leaves. Now add the ground ginger-tamarind chutney. Add required water and allow it to boil for 5 minutes in low flame.
- Serve hot with soft soft idlies along with coconut chutney.