Bread can be used for a simple and quick breakfast or snacks. There are many recipes with bread. Both sweet and savory can be prepared from bread. Here is one such dish from bread. It suits well for a quick and filling breakfast or as a appetizing snack.
I really wanted to try this dish when I came across this besan bread toast recipe in other websites. I somehow tried it one fine day, but result was a disaster. The taste was not good. The mistake in consistency of batter and cooking time made the bread to taste bad. I didn’t dare to try it once again. When I saw the bread during my shopping, I immediately purchased it with no specific idea. After a small argument with myself, i decided to give a try on besan toast. To my surprise when I tasted the besan bread toast I was so happy on the output. It tasted awesome. Even my kid liked it very much.
The step by step pictorial procedure of besan bread toast is as follows.
- Bread slices – 4
- Besan/gram flour/kadalai maavu – 1/2 cup
- Onion – 1/2
- Tomato – 1
- Cilantro/coriander leaves – (6-7) sprigs
- Green chili – 1
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Hing/asafoetida – 1/4 tsp
- Salt – As per the taste
- Water – 1/2 cup
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- In a mixing bowl, add finely chopped onions.
- Add finely chopped tomato to it.
- Add finely chopped coriander leaves and grated green chili to it.
- Give a gentle stir.
- Now, add besan to it.
- Add hing, turmeric powder and salt to it.
- Mix it well.
- Add water little by little to it.
- Stir it well to avoid lumps. The batter should should be little thick. If the batter is thin, then add little besan to it.
- Pour little oil in a tawa.
- Cut the bread into triangle. Place the bread slice on the batter.
- Flip it on other side and coat well with batter. Be little quick to avoid the bread from getting teared.
- Carefully place the bread on the tawa. Cook it it low flame for 1-2 minute(s) or till the base is cooked.
- Flip it and cook well on the other side too.
- Serve it hot with tomato ketchup.
- Adjust the seasoning as per the requirement.
- Make sure the batter is thick. If the batter is thin, add besan little by little to get the right consistency.
- Any variety(white, brown or multi grain) of bread can be used.
- Cook the bread in low flame to get rid of the raw taste of the besan. Else the raw taste of the beasn will remain and also the bread will get burnt easily.