Curry Leaves/karuveppilai/kadi patta/Karivepaku /Kariveppila/Karibevu has enormous amount of health benefits in it. Though it has wide health benefits, it is not fruitfully utilized by us. The curry leaves used in tempering are thrown out by many of the people.
Curry leaf is easily available at low cost. But it has many health benefits like, it is rich in iron which increases the hemoglobin count thereby reducing hair fall and promoting hair growth. It aids in weight loss.
The step by step pictorial procedure of the curry leaves rice recipe is as follows.
Check out other curry leaf recipe, curry leaf fritters/vada.
Check out other variety rice recipe, .tomato rice, lemon rice, peas biriyani, ghee rice, cumin-pepper rice, coconut milk-peas rice , tomato aval, oats ven pongal, Chicken Biryani – Thalappakatti, mutton rice, mashed tamarind rice, raw mango rice, schezwan fried rice, veg pulao, dal kichadi, saamai ven pongal, greem gram kichadi,ven pongal, mustard pongal, mushroom biriyani, jaggery pongal, ven pongal and broccoli pepper rice.
- Raw rice – 1 cup
- Salt – As per the taste
TO ROAST & GRIND
- Curry leaves – 1 cup tightly packed
- Coriander seeds – 2 tbsp
- Red chili – (4-5)
- Channa dal – 2 tbsp
- Thoor Dal – 1 tbsp
- Urad dal – 1 tbsp
- Black Pepper – 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Hing – 1/4 tsp
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Urad dal – 1/2 tsp
- Curry leves – 1 sprig
- Red chili – 2
- Peanut – 1 tbsp
- Cook rice in a pot or pressure cooker with required salt.
- Heat oil in a kadai.
- Add cumin seeds, black pepper pods and fenugreek seeds.
- Immediately add channa dal, thoor dal and urad dal.
- Add coriander seeds, hing and red chili. Saute till all the dals turn golden brown.
- Finally, add curry leaves. Turn off the flame.
- Allow it to cool.
- Transfer it to the mixer grinder.
- Grind it into a semi coarse powder. Set it aside.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Add mustard seeds. Allow it to splutter.
- Add urad dal. Allow it to turn golden brown.
- Add red chili.
- Add peanuts.
- Add curry leaves.
- Saute till the peanuts are fried well.
- Once the rice is cooked, transfer it to a wide vessel or large plate. Add tempering to it. This will make the rice fluffy and non-sticky.
- Now, add the powdered curry leaves powder to it.
- Mix it gently.
- Healthy & colorful karuveppilai sadam is ready to serve.
- Curry leaves powder can be prepared in bulk and stored prior also.
- If preparing curry leaves powder in bulk just multiply quantity of the ingredients as per the requirement.
- If there is curry leaves powder in excess, it can be used as podi with idli/dosa.
- Choose fresh curry leaves, as it gives best flavor to the dish.
- Instead of peanuts, cashew nuts can be used.
- Ghee can be used for tempering. It gives better taste to the dish.