Biriyani has become our national food. It is prepared in various methods depending on the region. We are ready to eat biriyani irrespective of time and day. Here is the recipe of mushroom biriyani with step by step pictorial procedure.
This is a hassle free biriyani. Freshly ground masala is here. So no disturbance while eating. I have used basmati rice. If desired, jeera rice can also be used. Also you can replace mushooms with veggies or chicken/mutton and follow the same method. Usually in dum biriyani, brown onion(fried onion) is used. But in this recipe brown onion is not used.
The step by step pictorial procedure of this recipe is as follows
Check other mushroom recipes….. mushroom dum biriyani(with brown onion), mushroom curry(mutton curry style), arachivitta mushroom curry, mushroom pepper fry, stuffed mushroom nuggets and masala mushroom in oven.
- Mushroom – 1 packet (200 gms)
- Onion(Big) – 3
- Tomato(medium) – (2-3)
- Ginger-garlic paste – 1 tbsp
- Mint leaves – (10-15)
- Basmati rice – 1 cup
- Bay leaf – 1
- Oil – 4 tbsp
TO FRY & GRIND
- Coriander seeds – 1 1/2 tbsp
- Cloves – 4
- Cardamom pod – 4
- Cinnamon sticks – 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 3/4 tsp
- Fennel seeds – 1 tsp
- Star anise – (1-2)
- Pathar ke phool/ kalpaasi – 1/2 tsp
- Red chili – 6
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Wash and soak basmati rice for 20 minutes. Cook the rice and keep it aisde.
FOR BIRIYANI MASALA
- Heat oil in a kadai.
- Add all the ingredients under ‘To fry & grind’ one by one.
- Fry it for few seconds. Turn off the flame and allow it to cool.
- In a mixer grinder, add the masala items. Grind it into a smooth mixture. Keep it aside.
FOR MUSHROOM BIRIYANI
- Heat oil in a kadai.
- Add bay leaf to it.
- Add lengthwise chopped onion.
- Add ginger-garlic paste. Saute till onion becomes golden brown.
- Add mint leaves.
- Now, add the ground masala paste. Saute for 1 minute or till the raw smell goes.
- Add chopped mushrooms to it. Mix it well to coat the masala over the mushroom.
- Add pureed tomatoes to it. Saute it till the oil oozes out and the mushrooms are cooked.
- Add required salt. Mix it well.
- Biriyani gravy is ready.
TO LAYER FOR DUM
- Heat a tawa. Place a pressure cooker/heavy bottomed vessel and turn thee flame to low.
- Take the gravy and spread over the pressure cooker.
- Take the cooked rice and spread it over the gravy. This forms the first layer.
- Repeat it for the rest of the gravy and rice.
- Close the pressure cooker with lid.(Remove the whistle). Keep the biriyani for dum fo 10 minutes.
- Mushroom biriyani is ready.
- Mix it gently.
- Serve dum biriyani with any raitha or curry of your choice.