Thakkali/Tomato kuzhambu/aounty is a famous Sourashtra cuisine. This curry is goes well with idli and dosa. In marriage functions or any occasions this curry will be prepared for sure. I personally like this curry very much. It is very easy to prepare.
I want to post this recipe in my blog for long time. Finally, i posted it now. Do try this dish and enjoy with idli and dosa. This curry will get empty in no time. The curry powder gives the taste to the dish. The curry powder used here is Sourashtra style curry powder. You can use any curry powder in the same way, but the taste differs. For the recipe of the curry powder, click here.
The step by step procedure of tomato curry/thakkali aounty is as follows….
- Onion – 1
- Tomato – 3
- Green chili – 2
- Curry powder/kuzhambu podi – 2 1/2 tbsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Coriander leaves – 2 sprigs
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Salt – As per the taste
- Sesame oil – 3 tbsp
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker or kadai.
- Add mustard seeds to it. Allow it to splutter.
- Add ural dal to it. Allow it to turn golden brown.
- Add cumin seeds to it. Let it crackle.
- Now, add sliced onion to it.
- Add green chili to it.
- Add curry leaves to it. Saute it till the onion turns translucent.
- Next, add chopped tomatoes to it.
- Add required salt to it. Saute till tomato becomes mushy.
- In a bowl, add curry powder.
- Add little water to it.
- Mix it well without any lumps and keep it aside.
- In a pressure cooker, add the curry powder-water mixture to the onion-tomato mixture.
- Add required water to it. Allow it to boil.
- Pressure cook it for 1 whistle in high flame and 1-2 whistle(s) in low flame. Allow the pressure to escape by itself.
- Garnish it with chopped coriander leaves.