Prawn gravy with pepper and red chili gives unique flavor to the dish. The only tough process is cleaning the prawns(deveining of prawns). Since we bought deveined prawns from online store, the process was quite simple and fast. The deveining process of prawns will take around 1 hour.
Here is the recipe for prawn pepper chili gravy. As the name goes the pepper powder, red chili powder and red chili are used for the spiciness of this gravy. So adjust the amount of the ingredients as per the spiciness required. Since my red chili has very less spice, I added 4 red chili. You can adjust it to (1-2) depending on the level spiciness of your red chili.
Check out other prawns recipe, prawn fry
- Prawns – 250 gms
- Shallots – (10-12)
- Tomato – 2
- Ginger – a small piece
- Garlic pods – (4-6)
- Salt – As per the taste
- Oil – (2-3) tbsp
TO DRY ROAST
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Pepper corns – 3/4 tsp
- Red chili – (2-4)
- Fenugreek seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Red chili powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – 1/4 tsp
- Wash and clean the prawns well.
- Add red chili powder, turmeric powder and little salt to it.
- Mix it well and marinate it for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a kadai add cumin seeds.
- Add pepper corns.
- Add fenugreek seeds.
- Add red chili.
- Dry roast foe few seconds or till nice aroma comes. Allow it to cool.
- Transfer the contents to a mixer grinder.
- Add ginger and garlic to it.
- Add roughly chopped tomatoes to it.
- Grind it into a fine paste.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Add finely chopped onions to it. Saute till it becomes golden brown.
- Add the ground paste to it. Saute it.
- Add required water and salt to it. Allow it to boil and cook it for 5 minutes in low flame.
- Now, add the marinated prawns to it.
- Close the kadai with lid and cook it for (5-7) minutes in low flame.
- Finally garnish it with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with rice or roti.
- Adjust the seasoning as per the taste required.
- Adjust the amount of red chili and red chili powder in the recipe as per the spiciness required. (As my chili was less spicy I added 4)
- If preferred, mustard seeds or cumin seeds can be used for tempering.o