Mayonnaise is a creamy spread used from burger to roti. Generally mayonnaise is usually prepared with egg. Egg-less version of mayonnaise is also available in the market. Here is the homemade egg-less mayonnaise recipe. Store bought mayo is costly. Egg-less is costlier than mayonnaise with egg.
I thought the ingredients used are costlier and the process is complicated. But it was totally wrong. When I came across this recipe from web, I was reading the procedure and ingredients 3-4 times to confirm that this is eggless mayo.
The egg-less version of the mayo is as follows. It goes well with many dishes like sandwich, roti, parantha, pasta, burger, pizza, noodles and etc. It makes the normal dish yummy & interesting.
- Milk – 1 cup
- Corn flour – 3 tbsp
- Olive oil – 2 tbsp
- White Vinegar – 1 tsp
- Sugar – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Black pepper powder – 1/4 tsp
- Salt – 1/4 tsp
- In a mixing bowl, add corn flour.
- Add 1/2 cup milk to it.
- Whisk it well without any lumps.
- Take mustard seeds in a mortar pestle.
- Make a coarse powder out of it.
- Take remaining 1/2 cup of the milk in a pan. Bring it to boil.
- Now, add cornflour-milk mixture to the milk. Keep stirring with a whisk. Cook it in low flame.
- Cook till it becomes thick and creamy. Allow it to cool.
- Blend it into a smooth paste in a blender.
- Transfer the paste in a mixing bowl, add pepper powder, freshly ground mustard seeds powder, sugar, salt, olive oil and white vinegar.
- Whisk it well to blend the ingredients with the paste and it turns creamy or till the spreadable consistency is obtained.
- Serve with bread/parantha or store in airtight container and refrigerate it.
- If using electric whisk, no need to use blender. Hand whisking for a creamy texture will take more time. Blending will remove the lumps if any. Blending gives a nice texture to the mayonnaise.
- Cool down the milk-cornflour mixture completely before blending.
- It keeps well for 3-4 days when refrigerated in an air tight container.
- Mustard is the main ingredients which gives the flavor to the mayonnaise. Crushed mustard powder can be replaced by mustard sauce.
- Instead of pepper powder, pepper corns can be crushed along the mustard seeds for a super fresh flavor.
- Use a clean and dry spoon every time for better shelf life of the mayo.