Thakkali/Tomato kuzhambu/aounty is a famous Sourashtra cuisine. This curry is goes well with idli and dosa. In marriage functions or any occasions this curry will be prepared for sure. I personally like this curry very much. It is very easy to prepare.
I want to post this recipe in my blog for long time. Finally, i posted it now. Do try this dish and enjoy with idli and dosa. This curry will get empty in no time. The curry powder gives the taste to the dish. The curry powder used here is Sourashtra style curry powder. You can use any curry powder in the same way, but the taste differs. For the recipe of the curry powder, click here.
The step by step procedure of tomato curry/thakkali aounty is as follows….
- Onion – 1
- Tomato – 3
- Green chili – 2
- Curry powder/kuzhambu podi – 2 1/2 tbsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Coriander leaves – 2 sprigs
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Salt – As per the taste
- Sesame oil – 3 tbsp
- Heat oil in a kadai.
- Add mustard seeds to it. Allow it to splutter.
- Add cumin seeds to it. Allow it to splutter.
- Add urad dal to it. Saute it till becomes golden brown.
- Now, add sliced onion to it.
- Add curry leaves to it.
- Add slit green chili to it. Saute it till the onion turns translucent.
- Next, add chopped tomatoes to it.
- Add required salt to it.
- Saute till tomato becomes mushy.
- In a bowl, add curry powder and water. Mix it well and keep it aside.
- In a pressure cooker, add the curry mixture. Allow it to boil.
- Now, add the onion-tomato mixture to it.
- Add required water to it.
- Pressure cook it for 1 whistle in high flame and 1 whistle in low flame. Allow the pressure to escape by itself.
- Garnish it with chopped coriander leaves.