Curd curry is a easy curry for rice. It also acts as a great coolant to your body. The curd and coconut are the main cooling agent of curd curry.
Curd curry can be prepared in two ways. One with vegetables and other without veggies. Here is the recipe for curd curry without veggies.
- Curd – 3/4 cup
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Hing – 1/4 tsp
- Salt – 2 tsp
- Raw rice – 1 tsp
- Channa dal – 1/4 tsp
- Coconut – (2-3) piece
- Green chili – 1
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1⁄4 tsp
- Split urad dal – 1⁄2 tsp
- Shallots – (4-5)
- Tomato – 1
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Red chili – 1
- Soak raw rice and channa dal in water for 15 minutes.
- In a vessel add curd, turmeric powder, hing and salt.
- Beat/whisk it well. Keep it aside.
- In a mixer grinder, add soaked raw rice and channa dal along with coconut, green chili and cumin seeds. Grind it into a paste.
- Add the paste to the curd mixture. Stir it well. Keep it aside.
- Meanwhile for tempering, heat oil in a kadai.
- Add mustard seeds and split urad dal to it. Allow the mustard seeds to splutter and urad dal to turn golden brown.
- Immediately add chopped shallots, red chili and curry leaves. Saute it till the shallots becomes light brown.
- Now add chopped tomatoes to it. Saute till the tomatoes becomes mushy.
- Pour the curd mixture to the tempering.
- Allow it to boil. Turn off the stove immediately once it starts to boil(As how we do for rasam).
- Serve the tasty curry with steamed rice.
- The recipe mentioned above is for plain curd curry. Chopped veggies can also be added in the tempering for mixed veggies curd curry.
- If the curd is not sour, 1 small tomato can be added extra for flavor.