Chukka varuval is generally prepared from mutton. Click mutton chukka for the recipe.
I tried chukka with the fish for the first time. This recipe will give different taste to the fish. Those who wish to try different recipe with fish should try this for sure. I have used basa fish here. Any other boneless fish of your choice can be used. The procedure followed here is different from mutton pepper chukka varuval. It is very easy to prepare.
- Fish (probably boneless)-
- Shallots – (15-18)
- Ginger-garlic – 1⁄2 tbsp
- Black pepper powder – 1 tbsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Cumin powder – 1⁄2 tsp
- Salt – 1⁄2 tsp
- Clean and wash the fish pieces. In a vessel, add some water and salt. When the water starts to boil, add the cleaned fish pieces to it. Cook it for 5 minutes. Allow it to cool.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a kadai.
- Add finely chopped ginger-garlic and chopped onion. Saute it till the onion turns golden brown.
- Now add coriander powder, cumin powder, black pepper powder and salt to it. Mix it well. Saute it for 2 minutes to remove the raw smell.
- Next add the boiled fish pieces to it.
- Give a gentle stir to it. Cook it for 15-20 minutes in low flame or still the fish becomes dry. Keep stirring at regular intervals.
- Boneless fish suits well for this dish.
- Do not over cook the fish. The maximum cooking time of the fish should be 5 minutes.
- Instead of cooking the fish in water, it can be steamed in a idli handa also.
- If desired, the fish can be minced with hands and fried along with the onion mixture.
- The seasoning can be adjusted as per the taste required. Mainly the black pepper can be adjusted.
- Do not over stir the fish if you want whole fish pieces.