Ragi/Finger millet/Raagi/Kelvaragu has various health benefits. Ragi flour is easily available in markets. Ragi is rich in calcium. It has more calcium than milk. Those who don’t consume milk can include ragi 2-3 times in a week.
Ragi aids in weight loss. It gives your stomach a full feel for a longer time. It also makes you strong. So it is very good for toddlers to improve their health.
The ragi malt can be consumed as a breakfast or as a tea-time drink. It cab be given to babies who are in weaning. The step by step procedure of ragi malt is as follows
- Ragi Flour / Finger Millet Flour – 1/2 cup
- Water – 2 cups
- Milk – 1 1/2 cups
- Sugar / Palm jaggery/ Jaggery/panang kalkandu – as needed
- Cardamom Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Nuts – as needed
- In a sauce pan, add palm jaggery and water.
- Heat it in low flame till the palm jaggery melts completely.
- Filter it to remove the impurities. Keep it aside.
- In a kadai, add ragi flour. Dry roast it for 3-4 minutes to remove the raw smell of the ragi flour.
- Add water little by little to it. Mix it well to avoid lumps.
- Now, add milk to it.
- Keep mixing at regular intervals to avoid lumps. Cook it till the mixture thickens.
- Add the palm jaggery syrup to the ragi-milk mixture.
- Add cardamom powder.
- Mix it well.
- Top it any nuts of your choice and serve hot.
- If you feel the ragi malt is very thick, them add little warm milk and give a quick stir. Serve immediately. If serving later, add milk only before serving.
- For kids, powdered nuts(cashew nuts, almonds, pistachios or walnuts) ca be added.
- For those consume this ragi malt for weight loss, skimmed milk or low fat milk can be used instead of regular milk.
- For sweetner, I have used palm jaggery. Other sweetners like sugar, jaggery or panang kalkandu can be used.
- Do keep stirring the ragi malt at regular intervals to avoid burning.
- If preferred, this ragi malt can be served chill.
- Adjust the consistency of the ragi malt as per the taste desired. Alter the amount of water and milk as per the need.