Nellikka/Gooseberry is a great vegetable. It has various health benefits. It can extend the life span of humans. Because of this special benefit Tamil poetess Avvaiyar gifted it while visiting her friend King Adhiyaman . It is a famous incident in Tamil literature.
As said gooseberry has so many health benefits. It purifies the blood and increases the hemoglobin count. It is good for hair too. The main feature of gooseberry is that it’s benefits will not change in any form. When washed,cut or cooked the benefit of other fruits and vegetables gets decreased.
It is very simple to prepare. It hardly takes 5 minutes. It goes well with porridge and all kinds of rice.
- Goose berry – 5
- Mustard seeds – 1⁄2 tsp
- Red chili powder – 1 tbsp
- Methi/Vendhayam powder – 1⁄2 tbsp
- Salt – 1 tbsp
- Chop the gooseberry in desired size and shape.
- Heat oil in a kadai.
- Add mustard seeds to it and allow it to splutter. Turn off the stove.
- Now add all the powder ingredients one by one and stir it.
- Finally add the chopped gooseberry and mix it well.
- This recipe of gooseberry pickle gives a crunchy pickle.
- If we want the gooseberry pickle to be soft cook it for 1-2 minutes in low flame instead of turning off the stove.