Thandu keerai gravy is known as theila raitho in Sourashtra. It is a greeny leaf with lots of health benefits. It is rich source of iron and calcium. It is good for kids health. It is not bitter like other green leaves. So, it is tasty and can be consumed easily.
I don’t like green leaves during my childhood days because they will taste bitter. Thandu keerai is one exception as it will not be bitter when compared to other green leaves. Also the dish prepared with thandu keerai will taste awesome.
The step by step recipe of thandu keerai gravy is as follows.
- Thandu keerai/Amaranthus caudatus/Foxtail amaranth – 2 bunches
- Shallots – (8-10)
- Garlic pods – (3-4)
- Tomato – 1
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Cumin powder – 1 tsp
- Curry powder – 1 tsp
- Red chili powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – As per the taste
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Hing – a generous pinch
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Wash and rinse the thandu keerai.
- Chop them well.
- In a pressure cooker, add chopped thandu keerai. Sprinkle little water.
- Pressure cook it for 1 whistle in high flame.
- Heat oil in a kadai.
- Add mustard seeds and urad dal. Allow the mustard seeds to splutter and urad dal to turn golden brown.
- Add chopped onions & curry leaves. Saute till it becomes golden brown.
- Add chopped tomatoes to it. Saute it.
- Now, add crushed garlic.
- Add, cumin powder, curry powder, red chili powder, hing and salt.
- Saute well till oil oozes out.
- Add the thandi keerai broth to it. Allow it to boil.
- Add the cooked thandu keerai.
- Cook till the water is evaporated or desired consistency is obtained.
- Serve with mor kuzhambu or any sambhar rice.
- Adjust the seasoning as per the requirement.
- The thandu keerai can be cooked open in a kadai. It can also be cooked directly after adding the spice powders. If doing so, add water for the thandu keerai to get cooked.
- The cooking method of thandu keerai depends on the quality of the keerai and water.