Losto is a healthy and tasty side dish for curd rice, tamarind rice and rice porridge. It goes well with rice also. Especially with rasam rice.
It is easy to prepare. When we are recovering from fever our taste buds will not work properly. Whatever we eat will be tasteless. During that time losto will give life to the tongue.
- Mint leaves – 1 bunch
- Curry leaves – 1/2 bunch
- Red chili – 4
- Tamarind – lemon size ball
- Salt – 1/4 tsp
- Hing – 1/4 tsp
- Gingely oil – 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Split urad dal – 1 tsp
- Red chili – 1
- Clean and wash mint leaves and curry leaves.
- Heat gingely oil in a kadai, add tamarind, red chili, mint leaves and curry leaves. Saute it for 1 minute. Do not over cook or burn it.
- Next add salt and hing to it.
- Allow the mixture to cool and grind it into a fine paste.
- Heat oil in a kadai, add mustard seeds, urad dal and red chili to it.
- Add the tempering to the mint mixture.
- It lasts up to 15 days in fridge when stored in a air tight container.