Spinach rice a simple and quick variety and flavored rice. It is a kids friendly and colorful lunch box dish. It has mild masala flavor too. The goodness of spinach along with masala gives a different taste and health benefit.
Whoever refuses or hate to eat spinach can intake the spinach in the form of flavored rice. The flavour of the spinach will not dominate the dish. The flavor of spices, garlic and seasoning along with spinach gives awesome taste to this dish.
Check out other flavored rice recipes mushroom dum biriyani, thalapakatti chicken biriyani, mutton biriyani less spicy, peas biriyani, Hassle Free Mushroom Dum Biriyani Recipe, carrot rice, curry leaves rice, broccoli-pepper rice, cumin-pepper rice, less spice ghee rice, tangy lemon rice and green peas-coconut milk biriyani.
- Spinach(Moderately packed) – 2 cups
- Rice(Basmati/Raw rice/jeeragasamba) – 1 cup
- Onion – 1
- Garlic cloves – (2-3)
- Red chili – (2-3)
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Garam masala powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric power – 1/4 tsp
- Salt – As per the taste
- Oil – 1 1/2 tbsp
- Coriander leaves – (3-4) sprigs
- In a pan or cooker, add 1 cup of water. Allow it to boil.
- Now turn off the flame and add washed spinach to it. Let it sit for (5-7) minutes.
- Drain the water from the spinach and allow it to cool. Reserve the spinach water to cook rice.
- In a mixer grinder, add the spinach.
- Grind it into a smooth paste.
- Heat oil in a pan or pressure cooker.
- Add cumin seeds to it. Allow it to crackle.
- Add chopped garlic. Saute it for few seconds.
- Now add chopped onion to it. Fry till onion becomes translucent.
- Add red chili.
- Add coriander powder.
- Add garam masala powder.
- Add turmeric powder.
- Add required salt.
- Now add the spinach puree to it. Saute it for (1-2) minutes.
- Add water in 1:2.5 ratio if cooking in open pan. Add water in 1:1.5 water if cooking in open. Also adjust the amount of water as per the soak time of the rice.
- Allow it to boil.
- Add the soaked rice to it.
- Allow it to boil and turn the flame to low. Cook till the rice is cooked and water gets evaporated.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve with raitha, papad, fries or pickle.
- Adjust the seasoning and salt as per the taste required.
- I have used baby spinach here. This recipe can be tried with any other spinach of your choices.
- Baby spinach turns soft in hot water. If you feel the spinach is not soft, then cook it in open or pressure cooker for 5-7 minutes.
- Raw rice or basmti rice or jeeragasamba rice or long grain rice goes well for this dish.
- This dish is a mild flavored rice so pickle, papad or an fires serves as the best combination for this rice.