Loula puri is purely Sourashtrian’s sweet. We prepare this sweet on special occasions and especially on Varalakshmi pooja. Loula puri is very easy to prepare. Also, it requires only a few basic ingredients.
The consistency of the batter matters a lot for this sweet. It consumes more oil but the taste will melt in your mouth and so your hand will automatically grab for many puris 😉
- All purpose flour/maida – 1 cup
- Sugar – 3/4 cup
- Cardamon pods – 3
- Water – 1 cup
- Rava – 1 tbsp (optional)
- In a mixing bowl, add maida, sugar and crushed cardamon pods.
- Ada water little by little and mix it well to avoid lumps and dissolve sugar. Let it rest for 30 minutes. If adding rava, rest it for 1 hour. The consistency of the batter should be thin but not watery.
- Heat oil in a wide bottomed pan or pressure cooker.
- Take a ladle full of batter and pour it int the oil. Cook it in low flame.
- Once the loula puri turns light golden brown, flip it carefully with a forceps or ladle. Cook till it turns light golden brown.
- Remove the puri from the oil. Drain the excess oil in tissue paper.
- Rava is optional as mentioned before. If using rava, soak it in the maida batter for 1-hour atleast.
- The shape and texture of the loula puri differ if it is fried in a kadai. The thin texture as in the picture can be obtained only if a flat bottomed vessel is used.
- The loula puri may be crispy immediately after cooking. After sometime it will become soft.
- Fry the loula puri in medium flame only. If not it will burn and stick to the bottom of the pan.