Ghee rice is very simple and less spice dish yet a tasty appetizer. It suits well from kids to elders as it has less spice in it. It goes well with any curry, manchurian. For manchurian and curry recipes, gobi manchurian, baby corn manchurian, sweet corn gravy, meal maker chettinad gravy, meal maker gravy.
- Basmathi rice – 2 cups
- Onion – 3
- Ginger garlic – 1 tbsp
- Green chili – 4
- Cardamom – 4
- Cloves – 4
- Cinnamon stick – a small piece
- Bay leaf – 2
- Coconut milk – 1 cup
- Water – 2 cups
- Salt – As per the taste
- Ghee – 1 tbsp + 1 tsp
- Wash & rinse the basmathi rice. Soak it for 20-30 minutes.
- Heat ghee in a pressure cooker or kadai. Do not over heat the ghee.
- Add cinnamon stick to it.
- Add cloves.
- Add cardamom.
- Add bay leaves.
- Add slit green chili to it.
- Add chopped onion.
- Add ginger garlic paste to it. Allow the onion to turn golden brown in low-medium flame.
- Add water to it. Allow it to boil.
- Add rice and coconut milk to it . Allow it to boil. Close the lid of the pressure cooker. Turn the flame to low and cook it for 10 minutes.
- Finally garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot.
- In recipe can be followed with oil instead of ghee but the taste will be little different. Also it become jeera rice instead of ghee rice. Both oil and ghee in equal ratio can be used. If using oil alone, 1 spoon ghee before closing the pressure cooker for a nice flavor.
- Fried cashews can be topped for a rich flavor.
- This dish will be light brown in color due to onion. Onions can be fried separately and topped on the rice to get a white color.
- Adjust the seasoning as per the taste required.