Plantain stem has good health benefits in it. It is rich in fiber. It aids in digestion. Weight watchers need to include fiber rich foods in their diet. It helps to reduce weight. Doctors recommend banana stem juice for kidney stone problems. Preparing the Vazhai thandu for cooking is much time consuming as you need to remove the fibers between the disks but considering the goodness of banana stem we need to do this.
Banana tree is the one of the trees, where every part of it useful to us. The banana leaf is used as the plate and used to steam few dishes. The banana flower is edible and it is used in cooking. Green plantain or raw banana is also edible. Banana is of course a fruit consumed by people of all ages.
The step by step procedure of the plantain stem stir fry/poriyal is as follows. Check other plantain recipe….curd plantain stem , green plantain shallow fry and green plantain chips.
- Plantain stem (medium sized) – 1
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Red chili – 4
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Hing – a generous pinch
- Salt – As per the taste
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Remove the layers of the plantain stem. Wash the last part of it.
- Chop them into small pieces.
- Heat oil in a kadai.
- Add mustard seeds to it. Allow it to splutter.
- Add urad dal to it. Allow it to turn golden brown in color.
- Add red chili to it.
- Add curry leaves to it.
- Add salt.
- Add hing. Mix it well.
- Add chopped plantain stem. Give a gentle stir.
- Saute till it is cooked well.
- Serve with white rice.
- The plantain stem will change its color once it id chopped. So, prepare the poriyal immediately after chopping. To avoid this, put the chopped green plantain stem in a bowl of water & butter milk mixture. 1 tsp of curd can also be added.
- Adjust the seasoning as per the taste.
- To chop the plantain stem, remove the outer rings of the stem. There should not be any rings. First, cut the plantain stem into thin disks.You should remove the fibers between the disks by your fingers. Then, chop the disks into a smaller pieces and immerse the same in the butter milk and water mixture as this will preserve the original color of the plantain stem.