Here is the recipe for cumin seed & pepper pod pongal/variety rice. It is popularly known as Thuoop pongal in Sourahtra. It is very simple & easy to prepare. If bored of eating rice or if you have left over rice, you can prepare this variety rice in minutes. Raw rice suits well for this.
- Raw rice – 1/2 cup
- Cumin seeds – 3/4 tsp
- Pepper pods – 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Hing – a small pinch
- Salt – As per the taste
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Wash and soak the raw rice for 10-15 minutes.
- In a vessel, add enough water and cook the rice with little salt.
- Drain the excess water.
- Transfer the rice to a large plate.
- Heat oil in a kadai.
- Add cumin seeds & pepper pods to it. Turn off the flame immediately.
- Add curry leaves & hing.
- Pour the tempering over the rice. Mix it well.
- Serve with sambhar.
- Adjust the seasoning as per the taste required.
- For taste enhancement, cashew nut or peanut can be added along the tempering.
- Ghee can be used instead oil if preferred.
- Fresh green peas can also be added along the cumin seeds & pepper pods. Boil the green peas with little salt. Drain the excess water.
- This variety rice always accompanies lemon rice in Sourashtra cuisine. Both are like love birds. They are always prepared together.