Thakkali char is a famous Sourashtra curry recipe. It is simple, yummy, colorful and tangy. It can be prepared in few minutes with basic kitchen ingredients.
It can be served as a hot soup during winter. The step by step pictorial procedure of this recipe is as follows.
- Tomato – (6-7)
- Shallots – (8-10)
- Green chili – 2
- Red chili – 3
- Red chili powder – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Hing – 1/4 tsp
- Curry powder – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Split urad dal – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
- Coriander leaves – 3 sprigs
- Oil – 3 tbsp
- Rice flour water or soaked rice water – 1/4 cup
- Salt – As per the taste
- Heat oil in a kadai.
- Add mustard seeds, split urad dal and cumin seeds. Allow the mustard seeds and cumin seeds to crackle and urad dal to turn light brown.
- Next, add chopped onion to it.
- Add curry leaves, green chili and red chili. Saute till the onion turns golden brown in colour.
- Now, add chopped tomato to it.
- Add turmeric powder.
- Add curry powder.
- Add salt.
- Add hing.
- Saute till tomatoes become mushy.
- Transfer the contents to a pressure cooker. Add required water and rice flour water.
- Cook it for 1 whistle in high flame and for 1 whistle in low flame.
- Garnish with coriander leaves. Serve hot with steamed rice.
- Rice flour water or soaked rice water acts as a thickening agent.
- If using rice flour, 1/4 tsp of rice flour is enough.
- Adjust the seasoning as per the taste.
- Any curry powder can be used. If curry powder is not available, sambahar powder or coriander powder can be used.