Hash browns are staple breakfast food in North America and UK. It is nothing but pan-fried potatoes. Here is the Indian version of hash brown. It serves as a great appetizer and snack.
It is easy to prepare with basic ingredients available in Indian pantry. It can be tasted as such or with tomato ketchup. The crispy outer layer and juicy inner part of this dish will serve as a delicious snack.
The step by step pictorial procedure of this recipe is as follows. The size of the hash browns can be adjusted as per the requirement.
- Sweet potato – 2 (or) 250 gms
- Onion – 1/2
- Chickpea flour/kadala maavu – 1 tbsp
- Rice flour – 1 tbsp
- Ginger garlic paste – 2 tsp
- Green chili – 1
- Coriander leaves – 4 sprigs
- Pepper powder – 3/4 tsp
- Turmeric powder – a small pinch
- Red chili powder – 3/4 tsp
- Lemon juice – 1 tsp
- Salt – 1 tsp or as per the taste required
- Oil – to deep fry
- Wash and clean the sweet potato well. (Used only 2 sweet potatoes to prepare this dish)
- Peel the skin of the sweet potato.
- Grate the sweet potato.
- Take grated sweet potato in a bowl, add chickpea flour and rice flour to it.
- Add ginger-garlic paste, finely chopped green chili and finely chopped coriander leaves to it.
- Add pepper powder, red chili powder and turmeric powder to it.
- Add salt.
- Add lemon juice to it.
- Finally, add finely chopped onion. Mix it well. No need to add water. If required, just sprinkle little amount of water over it.
- Take around 3 tbsp of the dough. Make it into a patty or vada like round shape.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Drop them one by one in the oil and fry them well on both the sides.
- Once fried, take them out and drain the excess oil.
- Indian style sweet potato hash browns are ready to taste.
- Adjust the seasoning as per the requirement.
- Only 2 sweet potatoes out of 4 is used. So adjust the ingredients if using many.
- The sweet potato takes more time to get cooked. So cook them in low flame to avoid burning.
- No need to add water to prepare the batter as the juices from sweet potato is pretty enough to get the consistency of the batter. Just sprinkle water only if required.