Puttu is a healthy snack/tiffin in Kerala. Varieties of puttu can be prepared. Puttu has 0% oil in it. Also, it is steamed. So it is a health friendly dish. The white sugar added to the puttu makes it a high calorie dish. So, instead of white sugar, jaggery, palm jaggery or brown sugar can be used.
Here, I have prepared puttu from green moong dal. Among all the dals, green moong dal is the power house of protein. It is good for kids to improve their brain development.
Green moong dal puttu is usually prepared by soaking the dal overnight and steaming the ground green moong dal. Here, I have prepared puttu from green gram dal flour.
The step by step pictorial procedure of this recipe is as follows….
Check other green moong dal recipe, green moong dal kichadi
- Green moong dal flour – 1 cup
- Sugar – 1/4 cup
- Grated coconut – 1/2 cup
- Cardamom powder – 2 tsp
- Salt – a small pinch
- Water – 1/4 cup
- In a mixer grinder, add coconut pieces and cardamom pods.
- Grind it coarsely. Keep it aside.
- Dry roast the green moong dal flour in a kadai. Roast it for (5-8) minutes in low flame or till nice aroma comes.
- Allow it to cool.
- Transfer it to a mixing bowl. Add salt to it.
- Add warm water till by little and mix it well. Close the vessel with lid and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Place the puttu mixture in the steamer.
- Cook it for 10-12 minutes.
- Transfer the steamed puttu back to the bowl. Add sugar to it.
- Add grated coconut- cardamom powder mixture to it.
- Give a gentle stir.
- Green moong dal puttu is ready to serve.
- Adjust the sugar, coconut and cardamom pod as per the requirement.
- The moong dal has more raw flavor. So, dry roast it well without burning. I
- In this puttu more lumps will be formed. You can break the lumps by hand or grind it in mixer grinder before steaming.
- Ghee roasted nuts can be added for extra flavor.