Kothu parotta is a famous street food in Tamil Nadu. Especially in Madurai, kothu parotta got it’s fame initially.
The recipe given below is for plain veg kothu parotta. Mixed veg kothu parotta and mutta(egg) kothu parotta are other variation of the kothu parotta.
Some people may feel parotta little hard to chew. But kothu parotta is so soft. It will just melt in your mouth. The ingredients used to prepare this kothu parotta is very simple. Here goes the exact recipe of the street food style kothu parotta.
- Parotta/parantha – 4
- Onion(Big) – 1
- Tomato – 1
- Curry leaves – (2-3) sprigs
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Red chili powder – 1/2 tsp
- Garam masala powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Korma – 1/4 cup
- Take the parottas in a plate.
- Shred them into small pieces with hands. Keep it aside.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a kadai.
- Add finely chopped onion to it.
- Once the onion turns golden brown add finely chopped tomato.
- Now add turmeric powder, red chili powder, garam masala powder and salt to it.
- Next add curry leaves to it. Saute it till tomatoes becomes mushy.
- Add the shredded parotta pieces and mix it well.
- Finally, add korma to it and give a gentle stir.
- Yummy and soft kothu parotta is ready to serve.
- The recipe is for plain veg kothu parotta. Add-ons veggies like beans, carrot, green peas, potato, cauliflower, cabbage and capsicum can be used.
- Korma is optional. If you want it without korma, then add little more red chili powder and salt.