- Dried white chickpeas/chole/safed chana – 1 cup
- Black mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Split urad dal – 2 tsp
- Asafoetida/hing – a generous pinch
- Dry red chili – 2
- Curry leaves/kadi patta – (10-12)
- Grated coconut – (2-3) tbsp
- salt – 1/2 tsp
- Wash and soak the chickpeas overnight in enough water.
- In a pressure cooker, add the drained chickpeas, a little salt and 1-1 1/4 cup(s) of water.
- Pressure cook it for 1 whistle in high flame and for 4-5 whistles in low flame
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a kadai.
- Add the mustard seeds and urad dal. Allow the mustard seeds to crackle and the urad dal to turn light golden brown brown. Turn the flame to low.
- Immediately, add the curry leaves, red chilies and asafoetida. Saute it for 10-15 seconds.
- Now, add the cooked chickpeas and required salt. Mix it well and saute for 2 minutes on a low flame.
- Switch off the flame and add the grated coconut. Give a gentle stir.
- Serve the chana sundal as prashad or naivedyam.